ilahi komedya

Whiteboard

After presenting a new design for a company website, the owner leaned over, asked if she could suggest some changes to the layout, got out a black marker and started drawing the changes on my MacBook’s screen. I was stunned.

Lost in translation

I once had a client call me in a panic from their annual holiday in France:

CLIENT: I have an urgent problem…

ME: Ok, what’s up and I’ll see if I can try and fix it

CLIENT: Well there’s something up with my site and I need you to fix it immediately. I’ve just gone onto my website from the villa and the whole site is coming up in English not French.

ME: That’s correct, it’s an English website.

CLIENT (at this point very irate) : I know, but I’m in France!!! Shouldn’t it be in French when I log on from France so that French people can read what I do?

www.bill AT att.com

Client’s 70-ish year old father storms into boardroom during our first meeting brandishing a sheaf of papers—all print outs of Google search results, covered in highlighter and red circles.


Him: “I want to know the meaning of this!”

Me: “I’m sorry? The meaning of…Google?”

Him: “NO! I want to know why our website is not listed here! HOW ARE PEOPLE SUPPOSED TO FIND OUR PHONE NUMBER?!”

Me: “Um…you’ve just hired us to start building you a website, sir. You don’t actually have a website at the moment.”

Him: “YES I DO! My granddaughter writes to me every week! www.bill AT xxxxxxx.com!”

Me: “Ah, right. Yes, that’s your email address, sir.”

Him: “Look at this! These are all our competitors! Why are THEY on here? I search OUR name and THEY are on here!!!”

Me: “Again, you don’t actually have a website yet. We are going to build you a website so that you WILL be listed in Google.”

Him: “Listed in Google?! What are you talking about? Who do I call to get www.bill AT xxxxxx.com listed in Google?!”

Me: “Ah, it doesn’t quite work that way sir. You’ll need an actual website first, and that’s what we’re here to do.”

Him: “I already told you that we HAVE a website. Good choice, son. This lady clearly doesn’t have a CLUE what she’s talking about.”

I ended the meeting and left right then.

via swissmiss + clients from hell

No comments: